Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Morning After...

I love that when I started typing, 'The Morning After,' in the little title box, my computer (ever helpful) suggested I might want 'The Moomins' instead- I have it well-trained!

So, let's get this show on the road, as they say.

Since I am currently the only viewer of my blog, I'm going to start out by doing a little something for myself. At the beginning of each post I shall list, Briget Jones style, the work I have consumed each day. This will hopefully help me keep more of a record of my day and more importantly, the work I heartlessly shunt into the corners of my studio and forget about.

I shall start by telling you a little bit about myself... but even before that, I must put in a disclaimer. Sorry.

The punctuation and grammar found in these blogs may not contain any likeness to that found in the outside world.

Right. I finished an MA in Children's Book Illustration at Anglia Ruskin University, in January. I think the three main things I learnt at college were, how to work, how to take and use criticism and how to survive.

There is a lot of debate for potential illustrators in such places as The AOI forum on whether or not to go to college and if yes, which college to go to. What I can tell you is that the days when you are actively taught things seem to be over. I've never learnt print-making or photography, about the golden section (?) or colour theory. What I will say is that my time under the care of the grumpy Martin Salisbury, the gentle John Lawrence and the sweet James Mayhew allowed me to become an illustrator. I simply couldn't have made the transition without them. At a risk of sounding like a cliche, with gentle (and not so gentle!) nudges in the right direction, they helped me find 'me'.

So, unlike a lot of the BA students I've talked to, when I emerged in January I felt ready. Ready to face the 50:50 daily ratio of work and promotion and ready to face possible rejection too.

Rats, it's getting on, I'll come back to this later.

1 comment:

Lynne Chapman said...

I know what you mean about James Mayhew - he is lovely isn't he? I shared a hotel with him when we were both doing a slot at the same conference a couple of years back. He was such good company and a really nice bloke. For his events, he actually paints live on stage as he talks!