Sunday, October 19, 2008

A fleeting update

Crikey! Time's gone fast! I shan't appologise for having been away, as I'm pretty sure I'll be fairly notable by my absence in the next couple of months and I'd like to save my appology for when I'm REALLY lax! If you haven't spotted me for a month say, I expect you'd probably better prepare for a major grovelling session.

Okay, well, update.

I'm in the middle of my first final piece (it having taken longer than I suspected it would- of course!)

I had thought I was over my jitters about my work. Apparently not. I still found myself hurtling wildly toward it paint brush in jousting position, hand over eyes. Attack! My footfall slowing though with the ever-increasing proximity of duh-duh-daaaaaah... the 'easel of doom'. The resulting meekest of paintbrush taps barely reached its' target. Much mopping and then frantic slewing of said work then occured in order to ecxordise the work of the vaguest hint of a tint. Now I know how Lady Macbeth felt! 'Out damn spot!'

Well, anyway, it might have a way to go, but I'm hoping to have sent it Hodder bound by Friday. There we go, I've uttered the words. Now, it won't be just me I'll be letting down if that doesn't happen!

Other news

I've been selected for the second time for the Cheltenham Illustration Award Show. I think it's on until the 31st of October, so if you find yourself in Gloucestershire with nowt to do, please pop along. I think it's a particular honour this year as my work will be exhibited alongside the rather marvellous Shaun Tan's. I think they had entries from all over the world this year so I'll have to really pull my socks up for next year's entry.

http://www.cheltenham-illustration-awards.com

Yesterday, I attended a SCBWI meeting in Manchester. The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators has branches throughout the UK and I urge everyone interested in either area to go try them out.

1 comment:

J.R.Poulter/J.R.McRae said...

Congrats on being selected for that Award Show - that's Fantastic! Good on you!