Saturday, November 8, 2008

temporary proofed

I want to say hi to two new 'followers'- that term is just a wee bit sinister isn't it? I promise I haven't contaminated either of them in any way! Alex T and Eric Orchard, I'm really excited to have you both aboard, you ridiculously, ridiculously talented individuals! (See my 'Illustration Site' links to view their work). I also want to put a plea out to everyone else to put the 'follower' gadget on your blog. It does sound a tad cult-like, but it makes it much easier for us to get back to your blog once we've found and enjoyed it the first time.

Well, I'm happy to report that things have been a trifle more Cass-friendly this week. I got three pieces out to be 'temporary proofed' (at least I think that's what it's called. For some reason, publisher's always seem to call when you're in the middle of chomping on an apple the size of Brazil.... and then you spend the whole phonecall trying to strategically swallow. Or, when you've just dashed out of the shower and have to 'aha!' in all the right places, whilst your dripping hair attempts to electrocute you and your towel slips around your ankles... and it's only then you realise you forgot to close the blinds the night before...!) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the good people at Hodder have sent my work to the printer so that I can see what it'll look like when it's all jazzed up. I think my art director thinks I need (and it'll give me) confidence... I can't think why she'd think that, can you???? I really hope she's right and that it doesn't just throw some sort of prison break-esque spotlight onto all of my bloopers... (not that there *ahem* ARE any mistakes, of course...)

Is it just me, or have an insane amount of brackets crept into this post? It's worse than Homebase in here and just like the the worst kind of DIY-ers, I haven't the faintest idea how to use them...
Other than that, I hope everyone watched Picture Book on Wednesday on BBC4? Part 1 of 3 is available to watch here. The programme was really enjoyable and very well put together, though I would perhaps have liked it to be a bit more indepth. It is a surprisingly big area to cover in 1 hour slots though and possibly they'll dig deeper now they've covered the history of picture books. However, it is well worth celebrating that the medium is finally being offered this sort of recognition.

5 comments:

Alex T said...

Hi Cassia, you are too kind. Found you blog via the AOI post and have to say it really cheered me up. I have to admit to being a very cynical person and most of the blogs I read on a daily basis just feed that cynical streak. You're the antidote - the anti-me. I shall be stopping by regularly for a booster shot. Something about your drawing/line reminds me of the books I read as a child and that's got to be a good thing. Plus you reminded me about scraperboard, had completely forgotten about that, making my own (can't remember how, seem to think it involved fairy liquid mixed into the paint somehow). Anyway don't want to sound like a stalker so I'll stop. Apollogeez for any spelling mistakes - must get new reading glasses.

cassia said...

Lol! I shall attempt to indulge your wish that I am as untainted as I seem then... I'm certainly pleased that it comes across that way! I'm actually an optimist in a pessimists' clothing. Therefore I tend to torture myself with all the terrible possibilities of what will 'probably' occur and yet still feel heart-wrenchingly disappointed when things don't turn out- a very tasty lose:lose situation, I think you'll agree!

However, I hope you do keep stopping by and far be it from me to string anyone up on spelling mistakes!

Enjoy the scraperboard- it is a lovely medium, sadly a shade too dark for kids books though. Not sure about the fairy liquid- I tend to avoid cleaning aids in any capacity. Hence my house is over run with dog bottom fluff and mould. If I'd existed many years earlier, I'm betting I'd have discovered pennicillin first.

Lynne Chapman said...

Hi Cass,

All the sneak previews we've had of your work look so lovely, and yet you always seem to be waiting to be rumbled as an imposter. Silly girl!

It was so lovely seeing all those fave books on TV though wasn't it? Makes you realise how little picture books are talked about and seen in the general media...

Great idea to put a link on the blog. In fact, so good, I might well steal it, mmmm...

Your bracket virus seems to have mutated into an ellipses disease...

cassia said...

lol! Lynne, you're completely spot on- I DO feel like an imposter! How astute! Hmm... I might get a big fake tache to wear to complete my confusion!

cassia said...

And yes, I can't wait to see how the next programme shapes up. Was very strange seeing Martin on telly though. He was an excellent tutor to me, but I kept expecting him to reach out of the screen and reprimand me for not having a sketch book open!