Friday, February 27, 2009

Life drawing

I thought I'd be bold and try doing a 'Lynne' on the train today. By now, I'm sure you're all familiar with the pretty smokin' lifedrawings that Lynne Chapman seems to sneeze out on an almost daily basis.

I, on the other hand, have been a very naughty girl and haven't really done any life-drawing since the first year of my MA. I mean, I have occasionally been known to doodle on trains. However, for some reason I always seem to be sat so that I face the winning composition of the back of a chair, an unattached hair tuft and a rogue ear lobe... not interesting viewing, no matter how large the ears or how hairy the hair.

Either that, or I'm sat nose-to-nose with my muse. Quite frankly, that's just not the way to get to know someone.

Anyway, today I was lucky. First off, a rather attractive, but more importantly (ever so slightly more importantly!) nearly stationary bloke. I love drawing action, but it has to be big actions to be fun. E.g. someone playing tennis or dancing. Someone consistently alternating between one elbow and another, interspersed with periods of nose-picking is just annoying... and grim....

On the way back, I had a range of backs of heads to choose from. This, in itself, might have made a nice study but I couldn't get a good angle on it. Eventually, I was engaged in a conversation about 'The Specials' and 'James Brown' with some merry Liverpudlians and gave up on the drawing altogether.




5 comments:

April Jarocka said...

Great sketches Lynne...ah I mean, Cassia! Keep it up.
:)

cassia said...

lol! Thank you kindly. Am going to take my sketch book out and attempt to draw some kids today- almost positive I'll be arrested. Could get interesting!

Vina Puspita said...

Beautiful sketches! :D


_vina_
http://valentinavinapuspita.blogspot.com
draw with the flow

Lynne Chapman said...

Well done you - these are really lovely! The hand on the top one is especially yummy and I love the second man's hair. Really fab start - more please, and quickly!!!

PS the trick is to pre-book a seat with a table, which gives you better long views across the carriage, plus the opportunity to draw surreptitiously, sketchbook half under the table...

cassia said...

Lynne re: your last comment about kids to draw from. The odd thing is that I'm far better from drawing from memory or imagination than I am from life. I do draw better when I've been arround children, but it's the watching them that tends to help, rather than trying to draw them whilst I'm there. Obviously, it's quite apparent to others too, as the hand on the first chap is actually the only part I made up, as he left before I got to do it! Lol!

What a great idea about pre-booking tables though. I mostly tend to go for airline seats and create my own little den! I'm taking my brother to the station in a minute. I may hang about with my sketch book afterwards- see how I feel. :0)