Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bologna Bites the Dust

Alas, it is the last day of Bologna Book Fair 2009. I somehow thought there would be more coverage in the publishing journals, but I guess they must do a following week post-mortem, when all the figures are in. I slightly regret not getting myself together to go, expensive as it would have been- It seems such a shame to have completely missed my first book being shown. Obviously, I couldn't have crept into the meetings (perhaps disguising myself as a litter bin or a truly hideous, gurning, lampshade) but I'd have loved to have been part of the outside hub-bub. The Cheer Squad, as it were. I'd definitely like to go next year. Especially if I manage to have another book there. I'm dying to know what really goes on.

I spoke to my art director about the new book this morning and she does assure me she's heard the show's bustling. I'd certainly like to believe her take on things above the quote from Jean Feiwel, in, 'Publishing Weekly' that, "I knew attendance was down when I walked right into the ladies' room." Well, that quote was taken from the first day so I'm sure it's picked up greatly since *eek!*

Come on, People- Sell! SELL!
I went for cake and chat with, the very talented, Gemma Raynor a couple of days back. She'd just been sent a Korean copy of her book, 'What's the Time Mr Wolf?' 'What's the Time Mr Wolf?' came out a few years ago now in the UK, but it had just been released there (complete with weird and wonderful back spreads of korean pictures and text, translating all the 'english-isms' in her pictures- brilliant!) Anyway, the fact that her book is still converting into different languages and new markets, years on is promising. I guess Bologna is only the main selling place.

Here's one of my 'in front of the TV' doodles. Since I have a little time on my hands at the minute, I decided to have a go at colouring it.

6 comments:

Vina Puspita said...

Wooww,,,amazing works, Cassia :D
Love it!

cassia said...

Thanks, Vina! You've cheered up a rather cloudy day! :0)

Faye said...

CAAAASSSSSS I LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! How much would it set me back to get a print of it? x

cassia said...

:0) That's my massive grin, that is! Email me over your new address, missus!

cxxx

Lynne Chapman said...

I can't believe you describe that last illustration as a 'TV doddle'!! It's wonderful - you are so talented, my girl: believe it!

cassia said...

thanks, Lynne. It's a double-edged sword- sometimes I draw better by the tv...other times I just end up watching CSI re-runs and doing no work at all! I hope you're feeling better and a bit more... vocal? xxx