Monday, July 26, 2010

New Work

Ahh, we had a house inspection yesterday. For which, I eradicated my studio of; fossilised banana peel, the random dead souls of cashew nuts (MIA from a lunch long past), and non-descript fluff. It's now lush in here. In fact, I've decided (as of today) that it's so scrummy in its' gleaming and pristine state, I shall never work again; for fear of spoiling its' immense beauty.

In keeping with my new philosophy of non-work, I saw Eclipse. It's not that the Twilight movies are ridiculously good, as such. (When it comes to vampire teen angst, you don't have to do much to please me, anyway). But, they do have this, sort of, lasting atmosphere to them. It took me a good 24 hours to shake the heady scent of teen spirit from my aging neurons. Made me want to dye my hair black and slob about, glaring at everything; from inanimate objects to newborn babies and kittens... oh no, wait, I do that anyway.... well, apart from the kittens (awww!)

My friend, Joe, wrote an article on books that have been successfully made into movies. I think (though he'd probably want to beat me, and then drown me for my book choice) even Joe would have to admit the conversion from book to film has been pretty seemless for the Meyer novels, and that is pretty unusual... although perhaps it's because they're pretty silly to begin with... Eclipse isn't as good as New Moon though. If this makes any sense, it leaves you less room to add your own imagination to the film, and is a bit more prescriptive... perhaps because there's more actual plot to it.


I also:

- went to see The Bush The Tree and Me play. Brilliant band- look them up on spotify and enjoy.

-drew my dog. (she moved before I could finish her properly, so she kind of looks like she has no eyes...oops!)

-discovered Strada chocolate tart (worth an entire blog post in itself)

-watched 17 episodes of So You Think You Can Dance (and what?!!!)

-went to Liverpool to see friends and get beat up by them (BJJ-stylee) and to Manchester Children's Book Festival to meet up with lovely illustrator folk and see my old Illustration tutor; the great John Lawrence, give a talk. Lovely and brilliant man. I hope one day I too have a 'tache and sideys as distinguished as John's. I reckon he's like Sampson, and all his illustrative strength is nestled in them. If you don't already know him, do google him. His work's beautiful.

-saw Inception- ooh, is all I can say... far better, (and the teen in me is throwing a full-blown strop at me for saying this) than Eclipse.

So, you see; my studio's far too lacking in fluff, and I'm FAR too busy to work, anyway. I simply will not sacrifice its' Fairy Liquid sparkle...

Oh, go on then, hand me that pencil and that packet of nuts...

Here's something of my new picture book project. I'm sure it'll change hugely before you next see it, but it was fun working slightly differently in technique. I'm LOVING the freedom of it being picture-led too; being able to draw whatever I want, and just chuck it right into the text. I've been lucky with the texts I've had so far, but there's nothing quite like being able to dictate for yourself where the story goes. (whether the sales people like my slap-dash attitude has yet to be seen- eek! I shall keep you informed.)
















9 comments:

Lynne Chapman said...

I love the punch of the colour in this new piece. The ghostly sketchy stuff is fascinating too. Well done - glad you're having fun again.

Your doggy drawing is absolutely lovely as well: wonderful pencil work. Just LOVE his ears.

You're really rather good at this arty stuff aren't you?

cassia said...

thanks, Lynne! Yeah, this drawing lark is quite good, really. I might do a bit more of it! :0)

Joanna Dover said...

Lovely work! And YES!! what is it about those Twilight books and movies that stays with you for a day? It's the weirdest thing - I don't know what it is.

cassia said...

thanks, Joanna. And in my case, I think it's a lust for those teenage years... *sigh* young love!

Jon Davis said...

I really like that new illustration. Lovely mood with the colours.
I like the clouds over the moon too.
Great stuff.
And a very nice sketch of the doggie too. Lovely draughtmanship :)

cassia said...

thanks, Jon. Hope the publisher agrees... eek! My nails are down to the bone already!

Katrin said...

I LOVE your dog drawing very much - its absolutely lovely! Wonderful pencil work!!!! Wow! Yes, the ears are great :-)!!!

I wished I could draw with pencils too ...

Have a nice day,
Katrin

Alina Chau said...

Beautiful!

cassia said...

thanks so much, Katrin. I hope you're well and happy.

Alina, very kind of you to stop by.

:0)