Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well, I thought I'd 'bear' all...
I've been working with the big and fluffy today, trying to get things looking a bit more whole and complete. I'm still debating whether to keep the shadow (it was, as Bob Ross would say, 'a happy little accident'). Initially I quite liked it, but now I'm not sure it's not a bit distracting. Plus, the bear doesn't have one. I'm also wondering whether to go around the bear with a similar line to Goldilocks. What do you think?
In other news, it was S-U-N-N-Y today, and it's just been bliss. I've really been a very jolly camper today. Fingers crossed it's the start of some sort of a trend. I'm attempting to start swimming, and if it remains like this, I might almost actually go!

7 comments:

Alex T. Smith said...

I love this. Goldilocks is very stylish!

Thomas Taylor said...

I'm glad you're tackling this grizzly subject head on, Cass.

I say keep the bear fuzzy, rather than give him a pen outline. And I love that shadow! In fact I like the whited out effect on dark paper. it's a great image.

Paul Jon Milne said...

I'd agree about keeping the bear fuzzy - it's a good look, and the slightly different 'styles' makes Goldilocks and the bear seem nice and distinct, I think?

Ace work! It is a good bear and I want to have one as a best buddy.

Angela Matteson said...

Sweet illustration Cassia! I love Goldilocks's linework great fashion sense and I love the furry bear. They do appear as slightly different styles, but I don't know if that's necessarily a problem. I love how the show makes Goldilocks pop forward towards to bear more. Maybe the bear doesn't have a shadow because he's giving off his own happy glow?

mai s kemble said...

I love the shadow really...
:)
makes me wonder if she's imagined him... :)

Jon Davis said...

I like the shadow, and I like the way the background is whited out colour, it's a nice effect.
The bear and Goldilocks do look like different styles, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Depending on the story this could be a v powerful illustrative effect.
And I like the details of Goldilock's outfit and the hat and stick for the bear.
Seems to be coming along nicely to me :)

cassia said...

thanks everyone. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to these. Very useful. I particularly like the post-rationalisation for my inept use of shadow! Excellent. I shall definitely be using that logic!!!

I've stuck with the two different lines for the minute. Will see how it looks in multiple pics.