Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Julietta Grown Up

I'm still messing around with this upside down picture. I've tried a different colouring technique, and I've added in some more detail to the original Julietta drawing. I really like the results, and it's actually a lot simpler than my normal gazillion layered technique. It does have a more sophisticated, perhaps slightly 'older' finish though, and I'm not sure if that's a particularly commercial way to go when approaching picture books. We'll see.

I've also worked into the monster a bit with the same technique, but as he was originally coloured pencil and the fur is much looser anyway, it's had a very different effect. I think it's quite successful, and I definitely like it better than the previous attempt, but it's widened the gap in styles and techniques between the two characters. It's made them less successful as a pair.

I know it sounds batty (in more ways than one) but I think part of the issue is that the characters ARE upside down. I think I need to have a go at uprighting them, and then carrying on experimentation.


In other news, I went to a brilliant needle felting workshop yesterday, held by fellow illustrator, Sophie Allsopp. She's amazing at it. You can see her fab artwork and creations here.

I am now completely in love with needle-felting. No, really! Remember my inability to have a hobby? Remember my stupidly restless mind, making endless lists and demands? Needle-felting is the answer to everything. I may just make it my new religion and worship at the alter of my local wool shop. In fact, scrap that, I'm going to get myself my own sheep. I'll dye them different colours and arrange them in rainbow formation in my front garden.

I'm stoked. It's the first properly, officially crafty thing I've done in years, and I may just be a little in love with my woolly fugly creation. No, he doesn't yet have eyes, and he may only have two paws... one of which is markedly bigger than the other. But the point is, I GET it! I can see myself very merrily making many more mutant creations. Yes, they'll possibly cause optical bleeding and children across the world to cry out for their mothers. But, and this is a big but, they will make me h-a-p-p-y! I may create a whole village of fuglies, and just move in.
I shall post pics of my efforts when I can work out how to get my fabulous creation off the camera... and no he did not crack the lens...

Anyway, thank goodness it's weekend. I'm ready for a two day snooze... Have a good one, all.

8 comments:

Mai Kemble said...

aw, I keep hearing about needle-felting...
Susan Mitchell does this too and she is insanely good at it...
when you feel up to it, I'd like to meet this monster creation with two sized feet.
:)

cassia said...

i'll check her stuff out... and work on that photo for you! :0)

dawn said...

Hi!
I saw your work when you were at the LIghtbox, so decided to follow your blog :) I had to comment, as I got really excited when you mentioned needle felting, I tried it for the first time last week, and it was great fun, I only made a couple of balls, and a very very simple faceless mouse with wonky ears. I also stabbed myself after prodding a little over enthusiastically - owwies!!

Petra said...

You are so funny, Cassia! I'm really looking forward to seeing a picture. I bet it's not at all mutantish. I must admit I fancy having a go at needle felting too, I've been having a look on Etsy at some fantastic creations... so flippin' cute!
Happy snoozing:)

matt dawson said...

I can see why you'd say the girl's 'older style' differs slightly from the monsters but I wouldn't get too worried about it. Did you draw them upside down... how many times did you (a) turn the paper round or (b) stand on your head while drawing them ;-) I find this playing around with the characters / techniques one of the most fun times in a project. Glad to see you're enjoying it too!

Lynne Chapman said...

I agree - you're getting far too hung up on it. Both characters are working REALLY well, both individually and as a pair. Have those mean old publishers been denting your confidence again..?

Consider this a slap my dear - stop fussing and start noticing what lovely stuff you are producing at the mo!

Love the sounds of the felt BTW... x

cassia said...

whoops, somehow I think I missed all these lovely comments!

thanks guys!

Lynne, oh dear! I'm obviously coming across as a total basket case as Mouldy's just sent me a rallying email too!

I'm actually feeling really positive about stuff though!

I've been pussyfooting about for ages around various issues in my work, and I just felt now was the time to pull myself together and address stuff. I feel like I'm making progress for the first time in ages!

xxx

black_dragon said...

I’ll probably be back again to read more. Thanks for sharing this with us. Kudos!

www.n8fan.net