Saturday, April 23, 2011

What I worked on today...

So, you know Pooshnoozle, already, but I can't remember if you've met Molly. Molly was Lively Elizabeth's predecessor... or I suppose, older role model- hence the goggles. So, she's been around years now, but it's nice to spend some proper time with her again.

Anyway, I've gone back to using my pencil full-on in much of my recent work, as it's what I love most, but I've added in some darker ink lines too, which I hope has added some punch.

This isn't finished yet (obviously). There's going to be a goofy vulture on the left arm of the chair stealing Molly's lunch. I'll probably 'flesh out' the top of the chair too, as I quite like the way it looks like a frame for the characters. I'm not really sure whether to add colour or not either. Opinions on a postcard, please!

Oooh, I also made my first cheesecake; strawberries and cream. If I'm not dead by tomorrow, I'll know it was a success...

9 comments:

Anne Booth said...

Really beautiful

June said...

This is wonderful. I love your pencil style.
If you decide to add colour, I suggest you test out a printed version first, or add soft colour digitally, as it would be a shame to lose the pencil version.

christine grove said...

The goggles are such a cute touch! Your pencil work is amazing:)

cassia said...

thanks very much!

June, good call. I think I'll have a go with the digital. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that...!

Coreopsis said...

Oh my! This is delightful. I can imagine it both ways--b & w and in color.

(the security word for this post is "playing"--now how tough is that?)

Ellie Crisp-McNeil said...

Oh Wow, Oh Wow, Oh Wow.
Absolutely fantastic work.
Like you I am now diping my toe in the water for writing (so hats off to you there too!). Today I have done a random search for children's illustrators and I have to say your style of illustration has blown me away.
I have added you to my "Vision Board" in the hope that my stories will be fabulous enough to support your illustrations.
In the meantime, I wish you every success in your work.
Ellie
p.s.Too right you should be paid for your talents!

cassia said...

thanks very much!

I love the security words, Coreopsis- they're often awesome/particularly fitting!

Ellie, you're making me blush! Much luck back at you on the writing front.

Carrie Gelson said...

I adore your illustrations! I am as I type this drinking my morning coffee and blogging about the latest treasures I discovered at the library - one of them being Lively Elizabeth! I hadn't seen your illustrations before so I started doing some searching and discovered your blog and website. You have become instantly one of my favourite illustrators!

Hopefully - if my husband makes another pot of coffee my blog post will be up in the next hour or so! http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/div5/

Can't wait to check out your other illustrated books

Jon Davis said...

Great picture, I really like the details on the chair and Molly's outfit.
The Goggles are v cool.
Will you keep us updated with how it develops, with the vulture etc?